Saturday, February 28, 2009

GRE

I'm going to apply to a doctoral program in Student Affairs. I already have a master's degree with a 4.0 GPA. So I have a question: why in the world do I have to take the GRE again? The GRE is supposed to be a predictor of how well you'll do in graduate school. I've already done well in graduate school! I took this test way back in 1998. So I've forgotten how to work all those MATH problems! The verbal section contains words I NEVER used while in graduate school, and I wrote a lot of papers! I started studying about a week ago. Even bought a study book and a program for my iPhone so I could study on the go. While I see the need for this test for someone looking to get into a master's program, I cannot for the life of me understand why it's needed AGAIN for someone pursuing a doctoral degree in the same field of study. Don't get it. Is this a 'verbose' enough rebuttal? :)

Here's a little practice for you:
Find the word that means the opposite to the one shown.

Foment:
a. Quash
b. Mitigate
c. Bolster
d. Assuage
e. Aggrandize

Isn't this fun?
Ick!

No comments: