Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Learning the Tarot

I have discovered Tarot cards.  Before you read any further, allow me to state...
*no, I'm not a devil worshipper or a pagean
*yes, I believe in God, read the Bible, and attend Church occasionally - currently looking for a church closer to home

Right now, I'm on a quest for understanding, both Spiritually and Literally.  It's not enough for me to sit back and let life happen to me, although there have been periods of time where I've done just that.  I want to be an active participant in my life - directing it at will if I can.  That said, I still hold the belief that everything happens for a reason.

The Tarot cards (in the traditional 78 card deck) leave nothing out in our human experience here on Earth.  In the meanings of the individual cards you can find every form of human suffering, joy, fear, challenge, and fulfillment.  It speaks to all of the things that oppress us, hold us up, hold us back, and what we have inside of us that can propel us forward.  They go back at least as far as the 15th century, AD. 

Here's how I think it works.  We all have a conscious mind - that's what we use daily - it's the conversations we have with ourselves all the time.  Then there's the more mysterious yet unusually omnipotent subconscious mind.  This is the part of our higher awareness, our higher self, that can guide us through situations where our conscious mind gets bogged down in emotion and facts.  The higher self can recognize these events for what they are and steer us through by saying, no - here is the direction you must go.  The Tarot is a tool for uncovering the thoughts and perceptions of the unconscious mind.  It's what our soul already knows on a deeper level but our brain just can't figure out on its own.  Some people go to therapists, some meditate, some use dream interpretation or hypnosis even - all of these are designed to help us get to the core of the matter.  The key is helping your self figure out your life. 

*this does not mean I don't pray - it's absolutely possible to believe in God, pray for guidance, and use the Tarot at the same time.

I've been practicing for a few weeks now and have definitely had some success!  It's amazing how much more SELF REFLECTION I'm able to do once I consider what the cards are trying to tell me on any given day.  And I've freaked out a few friends too!  The Tarot always has something to tell you.

If you're interested in learning more, check out www.learntarot.com.

No comments: