Thursday, May 6, 2010

You must read this book...

Seriously.  I'm more than halfway through it and it has made me re-think the food I eat.  I'm on a streak of personal development lately!  :)

I was not aware of all the toxins that are in our food, and only subtly aware of the mistreatment animals endure while being raised in large factory farms for food.  Having grown up out in the country and regularly seeing cows carelessly grazing in large green pastures sort of made me see the meat I eat through rose-colored glasses.  I'm not saying that everyone should be vegetarian or even vegan, but reducing the amount of meat we eat would do a lot towards helping the global environmental crisis get a little bit better.  I had no idea that agriculture actually emits more greenhouse gases than the transportation industry!  There's a lot of methane in animal poop.  And there's a lot of fertilizers used in the foods we raise to feed all those animals with. 

I don't expect that a few of us can solve these problems, but what we all can and should do is make ourselves at least aware and educated about what the problems are.  Why leave this for our children to worry about?  Yesterday I ate no meat by sheer coincidence.  Today I ate no meat on purpose.  Tomorrow maybe I'll have a hamburger or maybe I won't.  But at least I'll know more than I did yesterday about what the issues are.

1 comment:

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I found your blog through your signature on Athens Conscious Parents! I will definitely have to check out this book...I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now! = )